Statement of Ethics
The TTNO Statement of Ethics and Conduct for the Practice of Therapeutic Touch
- I will conduct my practice of Therapeutic Touch® in accordance with the generally accepted principles of Therapeutic Touch as developed by Dolores Krieger, PhD, RN, and Dora Kunz, and the Curriculum and Guidelines for Teaching Therapeutic Touch of The Therapeutic Touch Network of Ontario (TTNO).
- Before Therapeutic Touch sessions, I will make clear to the client any fees that I will charge for my service. I will ensure that all interpersonal transactions between the client and myself are non-exploitive and essential to their care.
- I will refrain from selling any product or other service to the client, when referred by the TTNO Referral Service.
- I acknowledge that Therapeutic Touch may increase the rapport between the client and myself. Therefore I will keep all information in strict confidence.
- In accordance with the Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act (PIPEDA), I will keep all client information in a safe, secure, and private location. I will not share any information without written consent from the client. When client information is no longer needed, it will be shredded and destroyed and/or deleted from all my computer records.
- Unless directly involved in the Therapeutic Touch session, I will not take another person with me to a session.
- I will not use Therapeutic Touch as a basis for psychotherapy, spiritual, or other counselling, unless I have the training and qualifications to do so, as well as permission from the client.
- I will focus on the needs of the client and will refrain from discussing my personal issues with the client.
- I will regularly evaluate my strengths, limitations, and levels of effectiveness. I will strive for self-improvement and seek to enhance my abilities by means of further education and training.
- In any Therapeutic Touch session, I will maintain the highest integrity, keeping the interest of the client foremost, and I will conduct all sessions in a manner that upholds the reputation of Therapeutic Touch throughout the world.
- I will not hold the TTNO responsible for any consequences resulting from my practice of Therapeutic Touch. I am aware that decisions regarding insurance coverage and liability are left to my own discretion.
- I understand that, should the TTNO receive any complaints about my sessions, or my conduct, I will be notified of that complaint. If, after due process of investigation, a mutually acceptable resolution of any associated problems cannot be achieved, the TTNO has the right to withdraw my name from the list of members of the TTNO.
April 6, 2017
Download a copy of the TTNO Statement of Ethics.
Ethics - TTNO Statement of Ethics [March 2017]
Download a copy of the TTNO Statement of Ethics for Recognized Teachers. Statement of Ethics for Recognized Teachers [Nov. 2014]